Highway 417 Rehabilitation and Widening from west of Maitland Avenue to east of Island Park Drive
The Ministry of Transportation (MTO) has retained MMM Group Limited to complete the detail design for the rehabilitation and widening of Highway 417 from 0.5 km west of Maitland Avenue to 0.6 km east of Island Park Drive (GWP 4058-01-00). The project involves the following components:
- Widening Highway 417 to four lanes in each direction between Maitland Avenue and Carling Avenue;
- Rehabilitating the Merivale Road overpass bridges and widening the eastbound bridge;
- Replacing all existing noise barriers within the project limits, including east of Maitland Avenue (north side) and east of Merivale Road (south side);
- Constructing related works including retaining walls, replacement and upgrades to drainage, roadside protection, illumination, highway signage, Advanced Traffic Management System (ATMS), and landscaping;
- Relocating utilities impacted by the highway widening; and
- Traffic management, in conjunction with the City of Ottawa, for construction staging. Anticipated traffic impacts include: Highway 417 lane reductions during off-peak periods; short-term ramp closures at Maitland Avenue and Carling Avenue interchanges; long-term closure of the Carling Avenue Westbound to Highway 417 Eastbound on-ramp; and weekend closures of Merivale Road between Carling Avenue and Island Park Drive
This project is following the approved environmental planning process for Group “B” undertakings under the Class Environmental Assessment (Class EA) for Provincial Transportation Facilities (2000), with the opportunity for public input throughout the study.
This website will be updated regularly, providing project and schedule updates, information on upcoming events such as the Public Information Centre, as well as project documentation as it becomes available.
If you have questions or comments, or wish to be added to the project mailing list, please visit the Contact Us section of this website.